Traditional heaters can experience a number of issues that cause discomfort or injury to users, including, but not limited to, hot spots. Positive temperature coefficient (PTC) heaters serve as a solution to these and other problems.
PTC Heating vs. Traditional Heating
Traditional heaters and PTC heaters have widely different designs and constructions, which results in significant differences in their operation and performance.
Traditional heaters generate heat using coils and wires. Additionally, they typically utilize a single-point sensor to determine the temperature for the entire heater. This design poses a functionality issue and creates a safety risk since it can lead to the development of overly hot areas on the surface of the heater.
PTC heaters have heating elements made from barium titanate-based ceramic stones. The material’s unique properties enable a PTC heater unit to self-regulate; it can run open-loop without needing external diagnostic or feedback controls. As a result, PTC heaters are highly reliable, offering consistent and uniform heat without the risk of overheating.
Advantages of PTC Heaters
As indicated above, PTC heaters offer better reliability than traditional heaters, which makes them the more suitable heating option for numerous applications. Other key advantages include:
- Safer heating functionality. PTC heaters eliminate the safety problems generally associated with heaters that use resistive wire, carbon fiber, or etched foil to generate heat.
- Higher operational efficiency. Since PTC heaters are self-regulating, they can optimize power consumption to achieve and maintain the desired temperature. For example, they will draw at full power at colder temperatures to ensure they reach the threshold temperature quickly.
- Smaller size, lighter weight. PTC heaters can be made to thicknesses as small as .0005 inches, which allows them to have smaller and lighter forms.
- Greater strength and durability. These heaters can withstand significant mechanical abuse, including creasing, folding, and piercing, without experiencing damage or degradation that affects their operation or performance.
- Bigger cost savings. Since PTC heaters are durable and efficient, they often cost less to run and maintain than traditional heaters in the long, which can result in significant savings for users.
Innovative PTC Heating Solutions From Pelonis Technologies, Inc. (PTI)
Want to learn more about positive temperature coefficient heaters and why you should use them over traditional heaters? Ask the experts at Pelonis Technologies! We’ve developed and manufactured specialty heating products for commercial and industrial use for over 25 years. This extensive experience provides us with the knowledge we need to answer and address any questions or concerns you may have about these heating products.
Additionally, combined with our many standard products, vast customization services, and ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 certified manufacturing facilities, it provides us with everything we need to make quality heating solutions that offer superior reliability, efficiency, and safety. Whether you need a stock or highly customized PTC heating unit, our team can deliver.